Many of us cut ourselves by accident. With most accidents, there is not much bleeding. To treat cuts which are not very serious, follow these easy directions:
1. Stop the bleeding by applying direct pressure on the wound with a clean cloth or dressing.
2. Wash the wound with clean, boiled water in order to prevent infection.
3. Wrap the wound with a clean dressing or bandage, but do not wrap too tightly. If the dressing should become dirty, replace it with a clean one after washing the wound with boiled water again.
4. Again, do not put dirt or soil on a cut. Soil carries germs.
5. If the wound becomes infected, seek the help of your clinic or doctor.
Source: Pied Crews Environment Special Magazine
Health issue 1: First Aid
Pied Crow, CARE/Kenya, P.O. Box 43864, Nairobi, KENYA
HOW A CACTUS CAN HELP STOP A WOUND FROM BLEEDING
Cactus juice can be used to clean wounds when there is no boiled water and no way to get any.
Cardon cactus also helps stop a wound from bleeding, because the juice makes the cut blood vessels squeeze shut.
Source: Where There is No Doctor by David Werner
published by the Hesperian Foundation, 1977.
USING GINGER TO TREAT A CUT
1. Remove the skin from a piece of ginger, wash it and pat dry with a clean cloth.
Source: Home Remedies: Health Care at the
Doorstep World Neighbors in Action No. 18